Kieron Gillen's workblog

 
             

   
 
 

2/09/2005

 
As part of a writing thing, I'm planning to listen to pretty much everything that was stinking up Indie clubs (and post-parties) from 1994-1996. In other words, Britpop. I'm not doing much in terms of actual quality, just trying to get as much of the period together and listen to it en masse to note connections. Pile it into the Ipod mini and shuffle until it starts making sense.

(It's already, oddly enough, vaguely worked. I always knew the heart of the piece was about drawing a line between Blur and the Auteurs. I didn't forgotten that their two albums of the period were direct mirrors of each other - PARK LIFE and AFTER MURDER PARK)

Anyway - if you have any of these, and are willing to rip either the entire album (Or, in most cases, just the Singles. As that's what's important in these things), give me a shout. This especially goes out to my friends in Bath, who I'll happily wander to your houses to borrow the CDs for my purposes.

I owned a fair chunk of this stuff, and somehow have misplaced it....

List will be modified as and when I manage to locate stuff, and recall other stuff I want. It's in rough order of how important it is I get hold of it.

THE GREAT ESCAPE - BLUR
DUMMY - PORTISHEAD*
IT'S GREAT WHEN YOU'RE STRAIGHT - BLACK GRAPE
THE BENDS - RADIOHEAD
NUSIANCE by MENSWEAR
Either WE ARE SHAMPOO or GIRL POWER by SHAMPOO
SLEEPER's first two albums.
GENE'S first Album, OLYMPIAN
LEFTISM by LEFTFIELD
CASSANOVA by THE DIVINE COMEDY
THE CHARLATANS by THE CHARLATANS
CAST'S first album and/or single after that - FLY AWAY, wasn't it?
DODGY's FREE PEACE SWEET
CHANGE GIVER by SHED SEVEN
Any of the Singles by POWDER
MARION'S first album

And, yes, file-sharing could probably solve this problem, but Soulseek has been incredibly rubbish for the last few weeks. I got the fragments of - hnnnghh - OCS and Kula Shaker (Downloading the latter being one of the most physically revulsing things I've ever done) which I need, but have hit blanks on something as common as The Great Esape.

Thanks in advance.

*I've owned three copies of Dummy in my life, and have given every copy away to some girl, for the usual reasons.



 

.

HOME
&
ARCHIVES


Kieron Gillen's Workblog, foo'.