Kieron Gillen's workblog

 
             

   
 
 

11/01/2004

 
This was going to be about the reason why scoring a game 1% is actually less harsh than scoring a game 4%, but I've become distracted since then.

Been having a decent, extended read of E-Merl.com, where Daniel Merlin Goodbrey (And, amazingly, that isn't Daniel "Merlin" Goodbrey. It's Daniel Merlin Goodbrey. No, really.) does his casually groundbreaking webcomic and hypercomic work. My attention lingers on his Mr Niles experiment, where he did one strip a day for a month.

I bumped into Merlin at the London Comic Con, where I bought a copy of his Mr Nile: The Illustrated Bastard - which probably dragged my attention to the webcomic anyway, and spent some time in the pub talking about comics (relatively small) and the magnifence of the Dresden Dolls (Extremely large) until the conversation was cut short by me running and hiding in the bogs after some very drunk gentleman (and aparent stalker of Rich Johnston) made an insensible and physical pass in my direction.

Anyway - to cut to the chase, Merlin's some kind of futurist genius and makes me fucking sick. The annoying bastard.

Could start almost anywhere, but let's start with Mr. Nile. Here he is. Say hello, Mr. Niles.








Ah. He's not speaking right now. He's hurt that you haven't clicked on the link yet.

If you're going to hang around for a better idea why you should head down that rabbit hole of a hyperlink... well, fuck off you know. These cruel formally radical gags which you should read. I mean it. Go on.

(Description added: As if Scott McLoud rewrote the invisibles as a formalist gag strip. And if you just read one, read this one)

And then wander around the rest of the site. At the very least, read glorious revisionist fable The Mongoose and The Weasel, because as my Gran would never say, it's as daft as a brush.

He's really good and clever and brilliant and I'm clearly chatting him up in order to get him to do a couple of pages for Commercial Suicide 3.0 just in case he's reading this in which case go on and cheers and run on sentences.


 

.

HOME
&
ARCHIVES


Kieron Gillen's Workblog, foo'.